In an effort to help the tourism and hospitality sectors recover and encourage Ontarians to explore the province, the Ontario Government has announced a Staycation Tax Credit for the 2022 Tax Year.
Under this program, anyone who takes a trip anywhere in Ontario in 2022 will be able to claim up to 20 per cent of the cost of a trip, up to $1,000 for an individual or $2,000 for a family: for a $200 or $400 refund respectively.
Residents of Ontario then claim this refundable tax credit when they file their 2022 tax returns.
According to the government, an eligible accommodation expense would have to be:
- For a stay of less than a month at an eligible accommodation such as a hotel, motel, resort, lodge, bed-and-breakfast establishment, cottage or campground in Ontario
- For a stay between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 of 2022
- Incurred for leisure
- Paid by the Ontario tax filer, their spouse or common-law partner, or their eligible child, as set out on a detailed receipt
- Not reimbursed to the tax filer, their spouse or common-law partner, or their eligible child, by any person, including by a friend or an employer
- Subject to Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), as set out on a detailed receipt.